English 204 Final Exam
General Instruction: Please include details from the texts you are using. Your goal is to show that you read the material with thought.
Identify and Define. Explain the figurative language in the following. Your figures will be signs. Use signifier and signified to explain your signs. Explain how the sign fits in the context of the poem. (5 pts each)
-The chimney in "The Chimney Sweepers" (metonymy)
-The mind forged manacles in "
-Formalist interpretation (
Text) use any poem
-Agony in the
-Metonymy in Oedipus
-The metaphor and symbol of the “chastised clown”
-Icarus as artist and “symbol” in Jazz
-"The Steps" as metaphor and symbol
-The “Weary Blues” in Hughes (positive and negative aspects)
-Agon in Hughes’ “Ballad of the Landlord” (you can use metaphor and symbol here)
Short Discussions: Compare or identify[define] (10pts each)
1. The unconscious as place and process. Use Oedipus/ Oedipus Complex
2. Intertextuality of “Luxe, calme et volupté” of Matisse and Baudelaire
3. Intertextuality in Dylan/Petrarch. Understanding Petrarch through Dylan
4. Mallarmé’s theory of book and theater. Apply it to Jazz and Matisse’s Chapel of the Rosary
5. Existentialism, especially the absurd condition in Krapp's Last Tape. Give a positive and negative meaning of the tapes
6. How is Krapp a tragic hero? What absurdity does he fight against?
7. Relate the agons in Oedipus and Antigone to twenty first century problems
Discuss: (20 pts each)
-Intertextuality in Hamlet and The Departed. How are the themes of Hamlet looking for “his father” in a world of “rats” help us see Scorsese’s vision in his film. Define the agaon in hamlet and relate it to the “sons” in Scorsese’s film.
-Classical tragedy (3 unities, catharsis, tragic hero). How is Do the Right Thing an example of classical tragedy? How does the Nietzschean concept of music and Apollo-Dionysus help us understand this tragedy.
-The 3 mysteries of the theater and your career. What minor disciplines can be used, and what tools from this class (at least two examples)?
-The concept of agon in the major tragic figures we have read: (Why is life tragic in each of the each of these cases?
-Existential (Hamlet or Krapp),
-How can the Apollo- Dionysus concept help us resolve or, at least, live with any of the above struggles? (Key words are articulating and feeling)]