The purpose of this assignment is to research the current (cutting edge) topics being debated by both information systems and other executives. A list of current topics, some technical and some managerial, is provided below.
Each student will conduct research in an area of importance in the field of information systems. You are required to:
· Choose two topics from the list below.
· Research the topic in current journals and on the web.
· Develop two computer-mediated presentations (PowerPoints) to be presented to the class.
Please see the requirements checklist.
· What is E-Commerce? (listen to PodCast #2 and see Instructions)
· New Software Applications on the World Wide Web such as Wikipedia (listen to PodCast #1 and see Instructions)
· Social Networking for Business
· Facebook Applications
· A Comparison of HTML Editors
· A comparison of World Wide Web Browsers
· A comparison of World Wide Web Search Engines - In Depth Analysis (listen to PodCast #3 and see Instructions)
· A comparison of World Wide Web Search Engines - Overview
· A lack of ethics is currently a significant problem for the information systems field.
· Application development by end users is cost effective.
· Application service providers (ASPs) will cause the death of centralized IT in organizations.
· Artificial intelligence will dramatically change the skills and education needed for success in the business world.
· Censorship on the World Wide Web - CON
· Censorship on the World Wide Web - PRO
· Computer crime is a major, largely undiscovered problem. Computer law is not adequate to handle computer crime.
· Computer crime is not a major problem. Computer law is adequate to handle computer crime.
· Computer viruses are a major threat to business information systems
· Computers should be used to monitor the performance of individual employees, such as data entry operators.
· Distance Education
· How to Build Your Own PC
· Human factors (ergonomics) have largely been ignored in the design of computer hardware and software.
· Information Technology in Agriculture
· Information Technology in Coaching Sports
· Information Technology in Sports Management
· Marketing on the World Wide Web - CON
· Marketing on the World Wide Web - PRO
· Mobile computing will be the next major movement in the computing industry.
· Multimedia will become an important business information tool - DEMONSTRATION
· Multimedia will become an important business information tool - OVERVIEW
· Outsourcing of information systems has significant advantages over in-house information systems organizations
· PC Repair Issues
· Research on the World Wide Web - PRO
· Research on the World Wide Web -CON
· Security is a major problem with the Internet - CON
· Security is a major problem with the Internet - PRO
· Technology, such as that being used by Napster, will dramatically change the economic reward structures of all products and properties that can be transmitted digitally.
· The Digital Stock Market
· The Glass Cockpit - Information Technology in Aviation
· The greatest potential for entrepreneurs in the next ten years will be in the information systems/computer field.
· The importance of Intranets for organizations.
· The Importance of the World Wide Web in Education
· The paperless office is a mirage; computers will not make paper and pencil obsolete.
· The paperless office is almost here; computers will make paper and pencil obsolete.
· Video conferencing will replace the majority of executive travel in business and industry.
· Virtual Reality for business solutions.
· Voice recognition technology will make the keyboard obsolete within 10 years - PRO
· What is E-Commerce?
· Wireless Network Security
· Wireless Networks
· Within a few years, e-mail will become the predominant way business people will communicate.
· Work-at-home is advantageous for the employer. PRO
· Work-at-home is advantageous for the employee. PRO
· Work-at-home is advantageous for the employer. CON
· Work-at-home is advantageous for the employee. CON
· Internet Government Services
· The Open Source Initiative is good for business.
· The History of Wiki.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TOPIC OF YOUR CHOICE