Delta State University
SOC 422/522 COD 522
Spring Semester 2004
Study Questions, Week 8
|Download in pdf format|
Topics for the Week:
Plants & Animals
Readings for the Week:
Video: “Costa Rica Counts the Future”
(1) A basic question addressed by this video is articulated by an interviewee, who asks: “how do we move beyond an economic logic that sees unsustainability as optimal?” Provide evidence that supports this contention. What is Costa Rica doing to counter this emphasis on economic logic?
(2) What is the primary insight that distinguishes ecological economics from standard economics? What are some consequences of this difference?
(3) What are some of the important challenges that Costa Rica faces as it tries to move its economy in a sustainable direction?
(4) What are some of the groups targeted by government policies aimed at developing a sustainable economy? How have they been affected by these policies?\
might each of the following contribute to a more sustainable future for Costa
▪ “luxury” crops (e.g. orchids)
▪ medicinal plants
▪ secondary forests