Delta State University
SOC 101: Principles of Sociology
Fall Semester 2005
Study Questions, Week 6
Printer Friendly Version
(1) What might happen to a child that lacks contact with other humans at early ages? Can such children be considered ďhuman?Ē
(2) What is meant by the term socialization?
(3) Identify the contributions of the following theorists to our understanding of processes of socialization:
Charles Horton Cooley
George Herbert Mead
(4) Explain how each of the following might contribute to Billís socialization:
Billís elementary school teachers
Billís childhood friends
Billís university professors
The mass media
(5) Are the effects of our childhood (primary) socialization locked in? What evidence can you cite to support your response?
(6) What is a total institution? Do you believe total institutions can be effective agents of resocialization? Why or why not? Support your response with evidence.
(7) What is an agent of socialization? Identify six agents of socialization and explain how they contribute to making an individual a social being.
(8) What is the product of socialization, for individuals and for society?
(9) Define the following terms:
Significant Other Dramaturgical Approach
Generalized Other Anticipatory Socialization
Looking-Glass Self Resocialization
Impression Management Personality
(10) Identify an important rite of passage in your life. How did this rite change you? What was the social significance of this rite?