Delta State University
SOC 101: Principles of Sociology
Fall Semester 2005
Study Questions, Week 1
Printer Friendly Version
(1) Provide a definition of the term "sociology." What are the primary topics which sociologists study? What can you expect to learn in this course?
(2) What is meant by the "sociological imagination?" How does one develop a sociological imagination? What value does the sociological imagination have for an individual?
(3) What role does science play in the study of sociology? What role does common sense play?
(4) What is a theory? Provide an example of a sociological theory. What is the value of a theory?
(5) Identify each of the following sociologists, and provide an explanation of concepts and ideas that they contributed to the study of society:
• Emile Durkheim
• Max Weber
• Karl Marx
What were the most important books written by each?
(6) Identify other important individuals in the development of sociology, and describe their contributions to the discipline.
(7) What are the key elements of the functionalist perspective? Who are some important functionalist theorists?
(8) What are the key elements of the conflict perspective? Who are some important conflict theorists?
(9) What are the key elements of the interactionist perspective? Who are some important interactionist theorists?
(10) Why do these three different perspectives exist? Why do sociologists study society from different approaches?